Thursday, July 2, 2009

Report Card Day, Brass Band Concert and Harmonica Party

The last saturday was the report card day coupled with the brass band concert at night.

Music Club set up a counter in the hall to allow new members to register lor. Nothing much to say about that since I'm not around for long. Anyways, it's quite successful, so, my congratulations to the new committees for making that Saturday's campaign a successful one.

Preparation works in the morning.

The guys playing some gay songs, Xin the drummaster... Haha...

Jamming, not quite.


About the report card, I have to sit in class from 1pm till 4pm =_=... Help teacher to arrange the files and stuffs. Jinyi was late, grrr~ 

It's the last year for us to take the report card already, crap, I don't want to graduate from high school, it's just too much fun  :(



====================================================================


Later that evening I went back to school at 6pm to wait for the bus to UCSI for the brass band concert. The buses not enough LOL! Thomas and I went on to the same bus that departed first. 

Upon reaching we went into the concert hall to look see. The place was not bad, just that it's a bit too small for a multipurpose hall, I mean, our school's hall is much bigger. But meh, it's air-conditioned :/

Took quite some photos, especially in sepia and B&W mode. The lighting there wasn't too bad either. 
The settings on the stage.

I never knew you need to pay to talk :D

























UCSI University stands for University College Sedaya International University, so... Is it a college or a university or a university university or a college university? Some peoples just don't think properly when naming and institute.


Not long after the peoples started to come in and the concert started. The Emcee for the night is Jia and another guy( First timer emcee, suckish spoken English, I don't blame him though). 
The first few songs were mini orchestra comprises of a few brass instruments, conducted by Bao Yun. A bit on the mediocre side, but it's passable as a performance.

And then the full orchestra came in to play. Hmm... If you ask me, compared to the Chinese Orchestra concert, the Brass band concert is better in overall. Don't ask me to compare it with Hamonica concert though, I'm biased. 


Warning: Music content, read at your own risk

Deeper analysis: 

  • Song choices: 8/10
  • Sound: 9/10
  • Presentation/ Performance:7/10
  • Crowd Factor: 9.5/10
  • Overall Verdict: 8/10

The song choices are okay, though some are really not suitable while some are just right. Notable songs include Songs of the earth, water, fire and sky; Pirates of the Caribbean; The Phantom of the Opera; Latin medley. 

The sound of the whole performance in near perfect, I didn't see a mic present on the stage and yet I can hear the sound of the flute solo from behind the hall. Maybe it's because the hall is small, but who cares? :P And it's perfectly balanced, there's not a section where it's too loud or too soft. One thing that I found not right and really can't be corrected in a brass band is that, it is a brass band, well... It's all woodwind and brass instruments, and some percussions of course, but it still gets a bit monotonous, if you get what I mean. I heard from Jin Shing that Harmonica guys are planning a Yu Hua Orchestra concert on the next year, so I hope these problem(together with the problems in Chinese Orchestra) can be resolved once and for all.

The presentation is a bit let down, though still good. Why so? The performance wasn't too bad, I didn't detect any mistakes or blunders(I wouldn't know LOL!). But, it's not too impressive either, like I always said, not enough "oomph", or not enough punch. There is a part of the music in I-dunno-which-song where it's building up to the climax and when it reached there the release was a bit disappointing. So I heard that this is partly to blame on the old age of the instruments, since old one tends to produce dry and weak sounds in oppose to the bright sounds.
The crowd's reaction towards the performance was great, they were entertained, me too, but not fully lar. They were awesome and supportive, and kinda over reacted when the emcees went on stage to sing(the worst part of the whole show, bad decision to allow the male emcee to sing at all).

Overall, it's a good show, especially for school level, can't expect much since the new headmaster really lockdown Co-curricular activities. 

p.s: Mickey mouse show is a gamble, and luck was on their side. Kudos.


And there ends three weeks of non-stop concert nights of Yu Hua, from now until the year end, it's pure death boredom. 
====================================================================The The following day I went to Teck Foo's house for Harmonica Orchestra gathering party. 
Nothing much to say about this XD

Chit chat a bit over there, barbecue, eat, walk, take photos, eat more, take for photos. 
Trying to light up the fire.

The pond in the house.







Ming Chek cutting cucumber O_O

Fire



Song Guang the professional fire starter

Cheers~!


Then they showed the videos from Harmonica concert, didn't get to see all. Haha, funny guys, awarded me 大包 for the blunder in the last song "The Circle of Life" LOL! Ask them if you haven't know how did I screw up the ending.


====================================================================

So uh...That's all for the week. Nothing much happening. Life is slowing down and accelerating at the same time. 

Music club have got 40 new members just in these two weeks alone, mostly into lessons, a few wanting to be in the band, I am is doubting their ability though, and they are graduating soon too.

On the new committees, I feel proud and disappointed for you guys.

I feel proud because you guys really did a great job, I can see some aggressive leaderships just like how the we used to be(though not as much, har har har...). And the whole club admin work is a lot more smoother than what it used to be. Keep up the good work!

And the disappointments comes from the lack of commitment towards the club, generally. I still get naggings, excuses, lack of respects, lots more... As if a single individual is more important than the whole club. Look, why are you chosen to be a committee member at the first place? It's because we have faith in you to look after the welfare of the club. And one thing that anyone one of you have to know is that, you are a replacable asset, and that's all. No one is more important than any other person in the whole committee, everyone has a role to play. To think that the president is more important than a treasurer is a serious misconception, and must be abolished quickly.
So my hopes are for the committee to put aside any differences and start working together, if not already doing so. 


Phew~ So... Until next time, cheers~

No comments: