Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lights, Sounds, Sideline

An excerpt from "The Lost Book of Alba", Chapter: "Sideline Warrior".





"Fourth down! 10 to go! 39 yards from line!" The PA relayed what the referee said. The speakers hung up high at the stands, two of them flanking the large scoreboard:   Strawberry High 7 - 13 Era Private High

I clenched my fist, crushing the paper cup in my hands. The water spilled over my lap, but that didn't matter. I stood up, the knees still throbbing from the last tackle by the opponent's linebacker, but that didn't matter too.

"Coach, put me in the play. I can still quarterback for the team, I've got an idea," I said to coach, voice a bit hoarse.

"No, Alba. I won't risk your injury. You've got enough for today, let Jay quarterback for this play, we must believe in him," coach said, his hand pushing the microphone of his headset to his mouth,"Jay, listen, I want the team to play '4R shotgun', but get Mango to run the ball down the right, we need a 1st down or this will be our last drive."

"Coach! Listen to me, shotgun running won't work, we have to pass it down field. Just let me quarterback this play!" 

"I said no! Look, Alba. You got sacked by a linebacker just now and the physio said your knee is not in a good shape, sit down!"

"My knee's alright..."

"SIT...DOWN..."

Coach look at me, I obviously tested his patience this time. I turned in disappointment, and kicked the water dispenser machine, it didn't fall though.

All eyes are on the pitch now, Jay and the team lined up at the scrimmage line, four receivers up ready to rush deep. "If only they are passing the ball..." I thought.

Jay called hut once, twice, thrice, and the center passed the ball on the fourth call. Jay dropped a few yards, faking a pass, and handed the ball to the running back, Mango, he dashed off towards the right, juking pass a few tackles and linebackers, he was off to a good run. 

Then, everything seemed to blurred. I didn't care.


*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***


"And the game goes to Era Private High, with a 13 - 7 win over their rivals Strawberry High," The commentator announced, confirming the scoreline. 

I stormed out of the field without attending the post-game huddle. They don't need me anyway.

As I walked out of the stadium, through the school buildings, I saw a graffiti on the wall that I've never seen before.
It shows three person, labeled "Always Wrong", "Holding On", "Does Not Belong" respectively.




I stared at it for a while. Then I resumed my way home.



Maybe I'm the one that does not belong...


====================================================================


*Story based on an event of Alba's life. Any resemblance to YOUR life is pure coincidence.*

No comments: