Saturday, February 6, 2010

Odyssey No.22: COP15 Sharing

.


Haha this is a ridiculously long delay, this event happened two weeks ago :P. Went to Sunway University College to attend COP15 sharing held be MyCJN(Malaysian Youth Climate Justice Network) on the last last Sunday, the 23rd of January. 

This was one funny experience haha, Jin Rui asked me to call up the Chinese press on the day before to see if they can send reporter to attend the event. I spent half an hour preparing the details that I need when I speak to the press, then called SinChew first, they pass the line around like playing monkey only, in the end putus tali. Geram gila~ =_="
Then called Oriental Daily, nobody answered the phone. Nevermind then =/

Then the last one really lame lol, called China Press, got myself transfered to the reporter's department. I explained our event and asked if they can send a reporter, the fella asked me back," What is COP15?"...

WTF?!

That was an unexpected twist to the plot haha, I didn't prepare for that question. Ended up speaking like a retard while explaining the COP15 thing to that person. But they weren't interested in it anyway so they told me "Send us an email and we will consider it" which is a polite way to say "GTFO!" :(



So, early in that morning I departed for Sg.Long to rendezvous with the other "gang members". Met up with them before going to Sunway UC in two cars.

We arrived at Sunway UC half an hour later.

Quite a neat place, but still to small la ><" Anyway to cut the story short, there were 4 sharing sessions by the guys that went to Copenhagen in December to participate in the COP15 Climate Conference la. Of course, not forgetting to camwhore a bit before the session starts.
I have to say, even though it's not too fancy, it was a pretty inspiring experience. All those stuffs they showed in the sharing, it really showed that youths are making a bigger impact in politics compared to the pass. 

And we got an insight to the real happening at COP15, it's really like a festival over there! There were exhibitions, rallies, it's almost as if they were celebrating Christmas there lol!

Then there was a session to decide the future of MyCJN. "To remain a network or become an organization" was the topic of debate. Well, there was a sense of uncertainty as each of the members debated the pros and cons. At that time I got this feeling that this might be just one of those life changing moments that happen once in a while.

Yea, basically they(we) were determining the fate of MyCJN. And the conclusion was, MyCJN will remain a network, with three driving committee members at the top running the network. Well, to be honest, that is a little bit off my area of specialty and ability. I really wanted to help them out, but being just 18 years old and still studying in college, I did not think that I can juggle the tasks and handle the pressure of governing a network. It's just too much for me : /

Well I do hope whoever that take up the role will steer MyCJN to a higher level though. 

Before we went home (of course the usual practice) we took a group photo with (almost) everyone :D


Yea, overall. It was a fun experience! Got to meet more peoples, some interesting some dull but that's life haha. 

After that event, we had decided that we shall form a team to do all these environmental movements and community service! 

Well, it's not official yet(at least it doesn't feel like that) but we will be known as the 6SOS :) . As to what does it stand for, don't ask me! (even though I was the one who suggested that name lol). Well we were just having a hard time finding time to discuss this together, hopefully it gets sorted out soon.



Anyway, more college updates soon. Till next time, cheers~

No comments: